How to Setup VPN
Before discussing the function of the VPN and its system of working, you should get an overview about it. A Virtual Private Network is a network technology which is used to set a network connection between a public network like internet and a private network which is owned by a service provider. Usually, this network system is set up in the large organizations like business houses, corporate offices, educational institutes, government agencies, etc. This system makes it possible for the remote users to get connected with the private network.
Why to Setup VPN?
While searching for reasons to set up a Virtual Private Network, you’ll get 4 reasons.
Connection with Remote Users–
This is one of the most important features of the service. The large institutions setup VPN service for the benefits of their employees. This networking service helps the users to access applications, files, printers and other documents where you don’t need to be worried about the security. Besides this, this network system can be set up by you too to secure your home network while you’re away.
Connects Multiple Networks–
While talking about the important functions of Virtual Private Network, you should remember that it is very much effective in connecting several networks together with utmost security. Therefore, it has become easier for the business organizations to connect with their networked resources globally. For personal usage, you can connect several home networks too by this service.
Keep Online Privacy–
Connecting to an encrypted VPN is a smart idea while working on any non-reliable network. For example, if you’re working in a hotel, such network service can secure your data and information without getting leaked. The Virtual Private Network in your device encrypts internet traffic; therefore it is possible to prevent those people who want to hack your accounts by discovering your passwords through the Wi-Fi connections.
Circumvent Regional Restriction–
This is popularly known as geo blocking. VPN can be used for entertainment purpose. For example, if you connect your network to British VPN, you can watch British I-Player from any other part of the world.
Protocols Used by VPN
- Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)
- Internet Protocol Security (IPsec)
- Security Sockets Layer (SSL)
Setting up VPN for Window 8
- Type VPN at the Search charm, click the SET up a Virtual Private Network Connection and launch VPN wizard.
- Computers with the same Windows can be connected through this network which is supported by PPTP or L2TP Protocols.
- Provide your IP address and domain name.
- For corporate network, contact the administrator for the proper IP address.
- For personal VPN server, type CMD in the Search charm and get the IP address of your server. You also need to launch Command Prompt and type Ipconfig.
- You’re all done with setting up the network system in your Window PC and now you can access your files from anywhere you want.